Request for a preliminary ruling from the Hof van beroep te Brussel (Belgium) lodged on 17 April 2013 - Johan Deckmyn, Vrijheidsfonds VZW v Helena Vandersteen and Others
Language of the case: Dutch
Hof van beroep te Brussel
Parties to the main proceedings
Applicants: Johan Deckmyn, Vrijheidsfonds VZW
Defendants: Helena Vandersteen, Christiane Vandersteen, Liliana Vandersteen, Isabelle Vandersteen, Rita Dupont, Amoras II CVOH, WPG Uitgevers België
1. Is the concept of 'parody' an independent concept in European Union law?
2. If so, must a parody satisfy the following conditions or conform to the following characteristics:
- the display of an original character of its own (originality);
- and such that the parody cannot reasonably be ascribed to the author of the original work;
- be designed to provoke humour or to mock, regardless of whether any criticism thereby expressed applies to the original work or to something or someone else;
- mention the source of the parodied work?
3. Must a work satisfy any other conditions or conform to other characteristics in order to be capable of being labelled as a parody?____________