1952 - 1972

 

pixel corner-cour pixelWhile there had been some discussion as to whether the European Coal and Steel Community institutions and, therefore, the Court were to have their seat in Liège or Brussels, the city of Luxembourg was finally chosen on a provisional basis in 1952.
This provisional arrangement was only confirmed at the Edinburgh European Council of 12 December 1992 when the seats of the institutions, including that of the Court, became definitive.
However, in 1952, it was not the provisional nature of the seat which hindered the installation of the Court but the difficulty of finding suitable premises to house the Court and its departments. At that time, the city of Luxembourg boasted no buildings large enough for each institution of the European Coal and Steel Community to accommodate its departments under one roof.

Three buildings were eventually made available to the Court: the Villa Vauban, for the chambers of the seven Judges and two Advocates General; the Hamilius Building, for the language service - the first in the history of the European Communities - and the Maison Hellinkx, for the administration and the library.

However, the fact that the Court's various departments were located far from each other did not help it in performing its tasks. Moreover, in 1958 the Court of the European Coal and Steel Community became the "single" Court of the European Communities, resulting in an increase in jurisdiction and also staff.
In August 1959 the Luxembourg Government agreed to make available to the Court a building belonging to the Bishopric of Luxembourg, located on the Côte d'Eich, which was large enough to accommodate all its departments.

 
 

brique

   
   

When it was decided, at the end of the 1960s, that all the Community institutions were to be located on the Kirchberg Plateau, a plan was formed to construct a building for the Court of Justice which, both functionally and symbolically, would convey the image of a court.
And so was born the project of the first Palais for the Court of Justice, designed by the Belgian architects Jamagne and Vander Elst along with the Luxembourg architect Conzemius.  

 
       
       
       
pixel

 Villa Vauban
  Villa Vauban 1952-1959 fleche H

 

pixelThe premises of the Court of Justice
on the Côte d'Eich
1959-1972

fleche Dpixel

 

Côte d'Eichpixel

                                                  

Enregistrer